James Beard Foodie Tour: NOLA, Day 2
Before going to bed after our first day of fancy feasting, JC and I walked up and down the hotel corridors trying to hit 10k steps. Hotel guests probably assumed the noises were rumored New Orleans ghosts but nope, it's just two girls trying to earn their way to lunch. We woke up on day 2 excited for more James Beard Foundation award winning food. Our first reservation was for early brunch so breakfast was not necessary but coffee is always a must. We parked in Uptown near a PJ's and grabbed a cold cup of New Orleans iced coffee. Ask for the wedding cake one, it's amazing!
Upon arrival, I immediately felt like Saba reached out and embraced me with a grandma hug. The decor is crisp and each staff member is genuinely welcoming. Trying to diversify my alcohol intake, I chose the rum based Not You Paw-paw's Punch - sorry Vodka but I still love you. Since this trip was not JC's first rodeo at Saba, we knew exactly what we wanted to order. Plus, I had to try the Blue Crab Hummus as recommended by Alon at the Safta Preview Party in Denver. For our first puffy pita bread, we ordered Lutenitsa which is a flavorful mix of roasted eggplant and tomatoes. Bites of Lutenitsa alternated amazingly with the olive oil and za'atar. For our second, third, maybe we did a fourth too, pita breads we ordered the Blue Crab Hummus and the Brussels Sprouts Hummus. The fresh chunks of blue crab doused in the warm butter served over their signature perfectly smooth hummus was perfection. I was a little worried that the Brussels Sprouts might have a charred flavor - ever order some at a restaurant and feel like you are eating campfire wood? But the Brussels Sprouts flavor popped through with the jalapenos adding a complementary spice. I really could've stopped here but I did not fly all the way to New Orleans to be weak!

First of all, it's a sno-ball, not a sno-cone. Y'all can't make me call it anything else! Second of all, even New Orleans's sno-ball stands win James Beard Foundation awards. Hansen's, a family owned business, has been serving sweet, icy sno-balls since 1939. In 2014, they won the JBF America's Classic award. If you didn't know any better, you might pass by Hansen's and never realize what it is except for the long line curving around the block of customers seeking relief from the Louisiana summer heat. After Saba and after visiting Kendra Scott next door for my birthday month gift (yea, I'm that Southern), JC and I met up with my sisters at Hansen's for a treat. We got into the long line, using the time to catch up, and once we entered the door we were so excited to see Ashley Hansen, granddaughter of the original owners, pouring syrup over shaved ice. Louisiana people are very particular about their shaved ice. It cannot be chunky and there better be enough syrup to last throughout the whole cup. Hansen's sno-balls are the model of perfection for a correct sno-ball. After ordering, we gathered outside to try the different flavors. We had cream of almond, cucumber, passion fruit, chocolate, and satsuma. Not a single repeat flavor! We all agreed that the cucumber was a clear leader but they were all delicious and satisfying. What a "bliz"ful way to end the day. Pun intended.
SABA
Saba texted JC a reservation reminder and we both happy danced. Here's a little secret, we are BIG fans of Alon Shaya. Like if restaurants could have groupies, we would be a hummus worship group. Can we call ourselves Foupies? I remember a year ago when I texted JC about a New Orleans chef at the 2017 Slow Food Nations in Denver. From that first moment of recognition until today, we have faithfully watched Alon's career and every food move. We both have cookbooks. My brother-in-law now has a cookbook. (Happy Birthday @recreationalchef!) I've cooked the stuff for Friends BBQ. And I've been waiting with great anticipation for the opening of Safta in Denver. The food is my siren and I don't resist it's lure.
For my main course, I ordered the oyster schnitzel because I really miss eating decent fried oyster po-boys. The sandwich was the most creative interpretation of an oyster po-boy I've ever had with one small exception. I commented to JC that I would love to see some harissa mayo added to throw in a little Southern heat. To both of our surprise, a few weeks later we noticed an Instagram post about some harissa mayo at Safta. Mic drop - foodie on point!! Saving room for dessert, JC ordered the light Moroccan Carrot Salad. Tasting the cool labneh, crunchy carrots, and hints of picked onions after all of my pita devouring was the happiest torture.
Hansen's Sno-Bliz Shop
Comments
Post a Comment