Denver's Restaurant Week 2017: STK
First things first - it's pronounced "S-T-K." Reading it like a license plate, I kept referring to it as "Steak." Before heading over, I searched the website for any information about parking. If they validate parking or provide valet, the website doesn't mention it. Luckily, being a week day we were able to find street parking on Larimer and walk a block over. The location is on a semi-low-key section of Market Street between 16th and 15th. But don't let the outside vibes fool you. Upon entry, I immediately noticed how significantly different the atmosphere of this restaurant is compared to most homegrown Denver establishments. It's loud, vibrant and sexually-charged. That's not a bad thing, in fact that's how I often describe myself...in my diary. It's the type of place you bring a date in those early stages of extreme attraction. "Pony" by Ginuwine played for goodness sake. The song's in your head now, isn't it? Go ahead give that link a click and dance away!
Majority of the seating options were booths or banquette style. We were seated in a very tight squeeze banquette table. If a coat check existed, we weren't informed about it. Having both of our large winter coats on this cold night were burdensome in the tight seating. The decor was sleek and modern with large beautiful flower arrangements. Call me Southern but dang I love a gorgeous flower arrangement.
The wine list was decent and extensive. I had a tough time deciding between choosing the wine pairing menu for an extra $20 or having a cocktail. Ultimately, I chose the cocktail route but after consuming two, the wine pairing is probably more economical and offers quality wine selections such as The Prisoner accompanying the steak. Yup, I should've done the wine pairing - adulthood regrets. For my cocktail, I picked the vodka based Strawberry Cobbler which was substituted with raspberry this particular night. The Cobbler was very sweet and bordered on being a melted frozen strawberry margarita. My husband picked the STK Mule which was a very classic interpretation with very fresh ingredients. After receiving our drinks, we ordered our course selections from the prix fixe restaurant week menu. This basically means I wait until my husband picks and then I pick the other item so I could try both dishes.
After placing our order, we received a board and skillet with a sourdough pull apart bread topped with a blue cheese butter and a side of chive oil. The sourdough flavor was very subtle and the bread wasn't warm which was slightly odd since it was served in a skillet. I see cast iron and always think "hot!" Way too many past burn incidents for me. The blue cheese butter made this dish! The butter's flavors were well balanced. I liked the chive oil but it could've used a dash of salt.

The lamb ribs easily feed two people but were a little messy. I recommend avoiding these if you're on a first date. The tender meat easily pulled away from the bones. I loved the fresh mint garnishment. The winner of first course for me were the scallops. They rightfully earn a place on my favorites list. The flawless butternut squash puree perfectly balanced the dish. The sauce topping each fresh scallop perfectly complemented them without overpowering the seafood flavor.
The market fish entrée for Restaurant Week is a Scottish Salmon filet with vegetables. The salmon was crisp and well seasoned. I'm not even sure why I ordered the fish selection because I'm not usually a salmon person. I think hearing "Scottish" gets me every time! I loved all the components of this dish especially the veggies. My husband's steak arrived on a slightly bare looking plate. I mentioned that maybe it should come with a side of some sort but he disagreed saying that all he wanted was meat and that was all he needed. I think what he was trying to say is "I am Man, hear me roar!" Or at least that's what I heard. We both agreed that the steak was delicious, perfectly cooked to medium rare, and great with accompanying sauces. I picked up a slight buttery flavor on the crisp grilled pieces.
Miraculously, we still had belly room for dessert. I really enjoyed the Warm Baked Cookie dessert served in a warm skillet and topped with caramel and chocolate. Two people could easily split this. My husband enjoyed the Salted Caramel Budino but the caramel was a degree too salty for me.
Overall, if I had to redo my STK Restaurant Week, I would pay the extra $20 for the wine pairing, pick the scallops, the filet and stick with the warm baked cookie.
Is Ginuwine still stuck in your head??
Majority of the seating options were booths or banquette style. We were seated in a very tight squeeze banquette table. If a coat check existed, we weren't informed about it. Having both of our large winter coats on this cold night were burdensome in the tight seating. The decor was sleek and modern with large beautiful flower arrangements. Call me Southern but dang I love a gorgeous flower arrangement.
Our Selections
First Course: Seared Hokkaido Scallops 💜 and Colorado Lamb Ribs
Entrée: Filet Medallion and Market Fish (Scottish Salmon)
Dessert: Warm Baked Cookie and Salted Caramel Budino
| Picture taken by Husband sorry for the quality |
Miraculously, we still had belly room for dessert. I really enjoyed the Warm Baked Cookie dessert served in a warm skillet and topped with caramel and chocolate. Two people could easily split this. My husband enjoyed the Salted Caramel Budino but the caramel was a degree too salty for me.
Overall, if I had to redo my STK Restaurant Week, I would pay the extra $20 for the wine pairing, pick the scallops, the filet and stick with the warm baked cookie.
Is Ginuwine still stuck in your head??
This is awesome work, it makes me hungry and I am not currently hungry. Also, the perspective and descriptions are unique and do a good job of prompting one through what they might expect if going to S.T.K.
ReplyDeleteCheers,
Declan O'Donnell
Thanks!!! Couldn't do it without my restaurant visiting gang ;)
DeleteLoved your intro! The diary joke and pony link were golden. Really good writing!!
ReplyDelete