Foodie Field Trip - Trying all of Troy Guard's Spots

When I want to enjoy a really decent, so legit, adult woman with a paying job, glass of wine, my friend and I walk a few blocks from work to Guard & Grace. Give me a glass of an Oregon Pinot Noir and I'm a happy human. Before enrolling in culinary classes at Johnson & Wales, I researched a few successful Denver chefs. One of my favorites to read about was Troy Guard of Guard & Grace. The more I read, the more I was lured into a small (but healthy) obsession with his restaurant ventures. Anytime one of his new projects popped up in 5280, Westword or The Denver Post I alerted all of my friends of a new thing we were destined to try. Slightly bored at work and needing a new challenge, I decided that eating at all of Troy Guard's restaurants would be my first chef inspired Foodie Field Trip blog adventure. My friends, mainly just amused with my mini-infatuation, agreed to join me because, hey, they still get to eat and drink while I fan-girl over menus.

TG Spot #2: Sugarmill

I woke up on Sunday morning to the sound of an incoming text message. Noticing that I felt completely awake (and not hung-over) and that the texter was a friend who was also completely awake (and possibly hung-over), meant that the universe was encouraging, no demanding that we brunch! My usual Sunday brunching routine in Denver is normally planned well in advanced with reservations secured. We took advantage of our early rising and headed to Troy Guard's bakery and brunch spot Sugarmill. We giddily arrived at 9:50 before the brunch crowds and waited 10 minutes until opening. The hostess asked if we had reservations, which we clearly didn't, but was able to seat us since we were so early. If going with more than two people, I recommend the reservation route. 

To start we ordered an array of beverages. I find it so hard not to end up with 3 different drinks while brunching. Coffee is a must, alcohol is a must, and water is a must - in that order. Sugarmill serves Allegro's coffee and dang it was a great cup of coffee on an early beautiful Sunday morning. For our alcoholic beverages, we both ordered based on our Winter Warmer Passport which was the Ladd & Co. - white wine, prosecco, Lillet Blanc, and peach tincture. I'm not usually a white wine drinker but this glass was delightful! It's a summer must to visit Sugarmill  and enjoy this refreshing brunch drink.
 
The food menu provided a reasonable number of brunch regulars. I asked the waiter what he recommended and he described the Shrimp & Grits with added bacon and the Breakfast Burrito. Being Southern, I picked the Shrimp & Grits because it is one of my brunch go-tos. When the dish arrives, it is momentarily breathtaking to observe the beautiful mash up of colors. It is unlike any Shrimp & Grits I've had before. The shrimp are decent sized, cooked and seasoned well, and covered with a delicious fresh green herb sauce. The egg, nestled in the center of the elements, was perfectly poached. The pickled onions threw me off but I award points for creativity and they did not bother me enough to withhold from future orders of this dish. Adding the bacon per the waiter's recommendation was a solid win for this dish. The crunchy bacon packed a lovely flavor that accompanied the white cheddar and sweet pickled onions perfectly. For my southern palate, I would have preferred a little more salt in the grits and a stronger cheddar flavor.
 
My petite friend ordered the Breakfast Burrito and was greeted with a dish to feed a village. A small village in a hipster community that rationed food, but still a village. While eating the burrito, we noticed a sweet flavor that would randomly hit our taste buds. The waiter informed us that they do use sugar in different forms while cooking including in some of the sauces topping the burrito. The flavor profile of this breakfast burrito is quite unique and it is a refreshing detour from the standard brunch burrito.

Overall, we had a very enjoyable brunch at Sugarmill and loved the decor. For future brunches at Sugarmill, I want to go back during the summer and enjoy the Ladd & Co. again. I also want to explore the sweeter side of the brunch menu since after all "sugar" is in the name. AND I also want to go for dinner. So many things to do!


TG Spot #1: Lucky Cat

For the last two years, my friends and I have bought Passports for a little summer drinking competition. This year we decided to try the Winter Warmer as well. I was hesitant at first because post holiday is the worst time of year for me to get excited about imbibing. I'm usually pretty good about cutting back at the beginning of the year and, being competitive, a drinking competition was not timely. But then I realized, Lucky Cat was one of the options! I promptly made a reservation for my friend gang and waited with great anticipation for Reservation Day.

Taking a seat we discovered that, without knowing it, I picked an Asian restaurant the weekend of Chinese New Years. Locating Lucky Cat for the first time was a little challenging since the entrance is tucked away in a corner of restaurants. We parked in the crowded Lowry parking lot and walked in the general direction per Google maps, hoping we were headed the right way considering we were slightly late. Lucky Cat is a small, cozy spot in the heart of Lowry's bustling restaurant area. I highly recommend planning ahead and making reservations.

Bangkok Summer and Gong Show
To get started, we order our first round of drinks. Poor waiter, we had a total of 4 (!) Winter Warmers with 2 for 1 drink specials. We had the choice of two cocktails - Gong Show or Bangkok Summer. The Gong Show is described as smoky, warming bourbon with pineapple, fresh lemon, ginger simple, and lemon. The Bangkok Summer is Thai chili vodka with mint, earthy turmeric, fresh lemon and topped with soda. I ordered the Bangkok Summer because I'm terrified of Bourbon and thought vodka was a safer choice, but stole a sip from my husband's Gong Show and thoroughly enjoyed both creations. The Bangkok Summer definitely has a spicy tingle to it  while the Gong Show had a light Bourbon taste followed by a sweet fruity flavor.

As a group, we went to town ordering some appetizers - is that a common city saying or just a country thing? All together we got: Flash Fried Brussels Sprouts, Chinese Style Spareribs, Fish Taco Bao Buns, BBQ Bao Buns, and Lucky Dumplings.

Flash Fried Brussels Sprouts - A perfect balance of flavor and vegetable, not too saturated with sauce. I would like a little more substance to the Brussels sprouts. I felt that my portion was very leafy.


Chinese Style Spareribs - An order comes with 4 ribs and is served very warm, but holy moly the meat rolls right off of the bone! Overall very flavorful with a bit of a kick.

Fish Taco Bao Bun ðŸ’œ- A.Favorite.For.Real. The chunk of fried tilapia sat nestled in the warm bun accompanied with an amazing sichuan tartar sauce.


BBQ Bao Bun - These were a popular choice with everyone at our table ordering at least one to try. The pork had a surprising hint of a sweet flavor.
For both bao buns, I would have preferred the buns to be a little fluffier.

Lucky Dumplings - Dumplings are dumplings and you can't go wrong here. The real winner of this dish is the side of chili soy vinaigrette.
My lovely friend SL modeling that spicy sauce
If you think we were reasonable and stopped after indulging in all of those appetizers, you must be new here, lol. My husband and I should've split one entrée but we've never really been the couple that can agree on one dish. God bless you sweet, in sync couples with similar palates! He picked the Orange Chicken, I picked the Ramen, and we both agreed that we needed to try the Zhuang Roll. The Orange Chicken ðŸ’œ was delightful! My favorite component of the dish was the freshness of the orange flavor. The dish wasn't drowning in sauce which allowed me to enjoy how crisp the veggies were. My Ramen, more modern than traditional bowls, was very hearty and thicker than my past Ramen experiences. The broth reminded me of my grandmother's gumbo base. The chunks of pork fell apart in my mouth and were perfectly salted. To top it off, I loved the creative addition of the pickled sweet peppers.





Hearing our demands for spicy EVERYTHING, one of the chefs walked over and gave us a cup of a special spicy sauce. Not sure if it was one of the side items listed but I do know it was like a magical Asian Tabasco™ and it was glorious.

The Damage 
Overall, our group really enjoyed the food, the drinks, and the atmosphere. Our waiter Ryan expertly managed all of our different orders and may have been, dare I believe it, slightly amused with us?? I'm not sure how often I will make it to Lowry to revisit Lucky Cat but I'll definitely keep it in mind for treating future visitors.






Comments